Unit 1 Lesson 2
MADAME CURIE (!)
1．The text is mainly about Madame Curie's _____.
A. life, hard work and achievements B. college life in Paris
C. talent (天才) for physics D. cooperation (合作) with her husband
2. The greatest contribution (贡献) Madame Curie made to the word is the discovery of ____.
A. uranium B. radium C. polonium D. silicon
3. Marie became interested in physics ____.
A. before she went to university B. after she graduated from university
C. before she graduated from university D. after she went to university
4. From this text you can infer that life was ____ for Marie when she studied in Paris.
A. hard and meaningful B. easy and colorful
C. hard and tiresome D. Easy and interesting
5. Marie began her research work after she ____.
A. graduated from university B. got another degree in mathematics
C. got married D. gave birth to her first child
6. The radioactive nature of uranium was first discovered by ____.
A. Marie B. Mr. Curie C. another scientist D. Mr. And Mr. Curie
7. Which mineral is the most radioactive?
A. Polonium B. Uranium C. Radium D. Silicon
8. When did Mr. and Mrs. Curie begin to do research work together?
A. After they got married. B. After Mrs. Curie got her degree in mathematics.
C. After Mrs. Curie found polonium D. After Mr. Curie got a job.
9. What is the meaning of the word "share" in the text?
A. Have free time. B. Have something in common. C. Study. D. Research.
10. The second paragraph shows Marie's ____.
A. determination to succeed B. belief in her own ability
C. devotion to her research work D. understanding of the importance of science
(Key:1.A 2.B 3.A 4.A 5.C 6.C 7.C 8.C 9.B 10.B)
While checking the answers to the ten questions, pay attention to those that are questioned.
For some, maybe you have to explain or analyze the meaning of the questions clearly and exactly, and for others, maybe you have to tell the students the meanings of the new vocabulary. Besides, some answers can be clear when the teacher and the students are reading the text carefully, so it is also OK to leave some questions aside for a while as long as you remember to mention them in the text.
II. Go through the text.
1. Say to the students,
"I'm going to play the tape of the text and you should read in a low voice after the tape. Please pay attention to the pronunciation and intonation. While you are reading, please think of this question "In what order is the text written?" And underline the useful phrases and expressions you find in the text."
If the students' English level is high enough, they can finish the tasks without difficulty. Then the teacher can go through the language of the text quickly.