Music to My Ears
Robby was 10 for his first piano lesson in my class. Much as he tried, he __36__ even the basic rhythm. However, he dutifully reviewed the pieces that I required.
Over the months he tried and tried while I __37__ and encouraged him. At the end of each lesson he'd always say, "My mom's going to hear me play some day." __38__ it seemed hopeless.
I only knew his mother from a __39__as she waited in her aged car to pick him up. Then one day Robby stopped coming. I was secretly __40__ that he stopped because of his lack of ability.
Weeks later I informed the students, including Robby, of the coming recital（独奏）. To my __41__, Robby asked me if he could be included. I told him he really did not qualify because he had __42__ out. He said his mom had been sick and unable to take him to lessons but he was still __43__ .
“I've just got to play!" he __44__. Something inside me let me allow him to.
Then came the recital night. The gym was __45__ with parents. I put Robby up __46__, thinking that I could save his poor performance through my “curtain closer（谢幕）.”
The recital went off smoothly. Then Robby came up on stage. His clothes were wrinkled and his hair was __47__. "Why didn't his mother at least make him comb his hair for this special night?" I thought.
Robby pulled out the piano bench and began. I was not __48__ for what I heard next. His fingers were __49__ on the keys. Never had I heard Mozart played so well by people of his age. After he ended, everyone was __50__ their feet in wild applause.
In __51__ I ran up on stage and put my arms around Robby. "I've never heard you play like that, Robby! How did you __52__ it?"
Robby explained, "Well, Miss Hondorf…remember I told you my mom was sick? …__53__ she had cancer and passed away yesterday. She was born deaf, so tonight she could hear me play in heaven. I wanted to make it special."
There wasn’t a __54__ eye in the house. That night I felt he was the teacher and I was the pupil, for it was he who taught me the meaning of perseverance and __55__.
36. A. lacked B. had C. showed D. got
37. A. listened B. learned C. checked D. played
38. A. And B. But C. So D. Or
39. A. conversation B. performance C. distance D. picture
40. A. guilty B. sad C. anxious D. glad
41. A. relief B. surprise C. pleasure D. satisfaction
42. A. stepped B. worn C. run D. dropped
43. A. acting B. performing C. practicing D. recording
44. A. insisted B. suggested C. complained D. threatened
45. A. lined B. packed C. piled D. covered
46. A. least B. most C. first D. last
47. A. messy B. cool C. neat D. dull
48. A. eager B. concerned C. prepared D. grateful
49. A. hesitating B. dancing C. touching D. crawling
50. A. over B. under C. in D. on
51. A. chaos B. tears C. silence D. return
52. A. find B. feel C. make D. like
53. A. Gradually B. Suddenly C. Frequently D. Actually
54. A. dry B. curious C. bright D. wet
55. A. regret B. talent C. love D. courage