1. She was reading a book in her chair _____ first: time I saw _____ old lady.
A; a; an
B. the; the
C. /; the
D. /; an
2. - Do you know ______ of them?
- No, I only know, Mr Johnson and Mrs Smith.
3. - Can I really get a mountain bike as a reward if I win the race?
- Absolutely !__________.
A.It all depends
B. I mean it
C. You've got me
D. So will you
4. Some modem paintings are _____ my understanding; I simply can't understand what thepainters really want to tell us.
5. Because the head-teacher had some important guests to meet, the meeting only _______a few minutes.
6. If you can't __ your shyness, you'll never pass the English oral test.
A. take off
B. get over
C. break off
D. give away
7. _____ in 2011, the Beijing-Shanghai high-speed railway has benefited Qufu a lot.
A. To complete
C. Having completed
8. You needn't have apologized for your absence_______, it' s hardly your fault.
9. _____the activities might seem childish, actually they require a lot of strength and determination.
10. In fact, I think it's very much nicer without the naughty boy, if you don't mind me ___ so.
B. to say
D. to saying
11. If this bridge can't be repaired, ____ will mean no food will be transported to the flooded areas.
12. Still many Senior Three students haven't realized reading English newspapers _______of great help to their English study.
C. have been
D. had been
13. - Why do you choose to work in a kindergarten?
- Well, you know, dancing is my _____. So it is my best choice.
14. I have to see the doctor this afternoon because I ____ a lot lately.
A. have been coughing
B. had coughed
15 . - The speaker is a tall man with glasses.
- Then it_____ be Mr. Smith, who is short and thin.
16. Sometimes people just believe what they see, ______the reality may be different.
A. as if
B. even though
17. Be _____we can' t expect an absolute freedom of expression.