I. Listening Comprehension
Directions: In Section A, you will hear ten short conversations between two speakers. At the end of each conversation, a question will be asked about what was said. The conversations and the questions will be spoken only once. After you hear a conversation and the question about it, read the four possible answers on your paper, and decide which one is the best answer to the question you have heard.
1. A. In a bookstore. B. In a grocery.
C. In a stationery shop. D. In a shopping mall.
2. A. Diner and waitress. B. Librarian and reader.
C. Ticket seller and customer. D. Teacher and student.
3. A. She is not hungry. B. She wants to dine out.
C. She doesn’t like cooking. D. She feels awful today.
4. A. The postcard has been lost. B. The man will go to the post office.
C. The local post office is closed. D. The woman is expecting a postcard.
5. A. To a bank. B. To Macao.
C. To a travel agency. D. To a gymnasium.
6. A. There will be too many people at the party.
B. He feels sorry that the woman is not coming.
C. It makes people happier to have more parties.
D. The woman can bring her brother to the party.
7. A. The man is extremely fond of traveling.
B. The woman has taken many pictures at the contest.
C. The man admires the woman’s talent in writing.
D. The woman is an experienced photographer.
8. A. The new dress is for warm weather. B. The new dress makes her look cool.
C. She doesn’t like cold weather at all. D. She bought the dress when it was warm.
9. A. A nice hair-style. B. An old photo.
C. A wonderful wedding. D. An unforgettable friend.
10. A. She could hardly find the truth. B. She doesn’t agree with the man.
C. She is good at finding a place to stay. D. She had no travel experience in Russia.
Directions: In Section B, you will hear two short passages, and you will be asked three questions on each of the passage. The passages will be read twice, but the questions will be spoken only once. When you hear a question, read the four possible answers on your paper and decide which one would be the best answer to the question you have heard.
Questions 11 through 13 are based on the following passage.
11. A. International Nurses’ Day. B. World No Tobacco Day.
C. International Workers’ Day. D. National Chocolate Chip Day.
12. A. May’s brilliant green jewel stands for constant love.
B. Workers started to fight for 8 hours labor back in the 1800s.
C. Chocolate chip cookies are usually made for the people you love.
D. May’s flower, the Lily of the Valley represents happiness and pure love.
13. A. The Merry Month of May. B. Month Flower and Jewel of May.
C. Food Celebrations in May. D. No Cigarettes in May.
Questions 14 through 16 are based on the following passage.
14. A. He invented the way of blood transfusion (输血).
B. He solved the problem of dangerous blood transfusion.
C. He found a couple of new blood types of human beings.
D. He discovered the relation between blood types and personalities.
15. A. Loyal but anxious. B. Logical but changeable.
C. Creative but selfish. D. Ambitious but inflexible.
16. A. Modest. B. Neutral. C. Disapproval. D. Supportive.
Directions: In Section C, you will hear two longer conversations. The conversations will be read twice. After you hear each conversation, you are required to fill in the numbered blanks with the information you have heard. Write your answers on your answer sheet.
Blanks 17 through 20 are based on the following conversation.
Complete the form. Write ONE WORD for each answer.
Laurence’s Social Arrangement
To invite Roger and Millie for a meal this ___17___ night.
They have to go to Scotland for a wedding ___18___.
To gather the ___19___ weekend.
Roger should give her a ___20___ in a week or so to set the time.
Blanks 21 through 24 are based on the following conversation.
Complete the form. Write NO MORE THAN THREE WORDS for each answer.
How much is the tuition for each semester?
How does Lisa get the rest of money?
By doing ___22___.
How does Lisa spend the money she earns herself?
Mainly on her ___23___.
What does Lisa think of the clothes in discount stores?
They are ___24___.