II. Grammar and Vocabulary
Directions:Beneath each of the following sentences there are four choices marked A, B. C and D.Choose the one answer that best completes the sentence.
25. Some abstract modernpaintings were ______ my understanding; I simply couldn’t figure out what the painters really wanted to tell us.
A. within B. behind C. around D. beyond
26. — What did you have for breakfast during your visit to Britain?
—______ but bread and butter. That was the only food they served day in and day out.
A. Nothing B. Everything C. Anything D. Something
27. — ______ I take the magazines out?
— I’m afraid not. They are supposed to be read here in the study room.
A. Will B. Must C. May D. Need
28. Experiments on animals ______ long before the medicine was applied to patients.
A. have conducted B. have been conducted
C. had conducted D. had been conducted
29. The document film ______ next week aims at introducing local cultures to the world.
A. released B. being released C. to be released D. having been released
30. The school authority had a discussion regarding ______ they should set up more scholarships to meet the increasing demands.
A. whether B. what C. that D. whom
31. Something has to be done to stop the rivers from being further polluted, ?
A. doesn’t it B. hasn’t it C. does it D. has it
32. A warning signal suddenly appeared on the screen of my computer, ______ the computer was being attacked by a certain virus.
A. indicated B. indicating C. to indicate D. having indicated
33. — Do you think the weather is good enough for a picnic?
— Definitely. You couldn’t hope for ______ at this time of the month.
A. the nicer day B. a nicer day C. the nicest day D. nice a day