I. Listening Comprehension
1. M: Could you tell me how many people will be present at the party?
W: Besides you and me, there are eight people invited to the party.
Q: How many people will be at the party?
2. W: Are you ready to order dessert?
M: Yes, I'd like to have some chocolate cake.
Q: Where are the two speakers?
3. M: Excuse me. I want to complain about the milk. When I opened it at home yesterday, there was a bad smell.
W: Oh, I'm terribly sorry about that. I'll take care of it right away.
Q: What's the probable relationship between the two speakers?
4. M: As you can see from the drawings, the kitchen has one door into the dining room, another into the family room and a third to the outside.
W: The door into the family room isn’t big enough. Could it be made wider?
Q: What are the speakers doing?
5. M: I’m thinking about where to go for a bite tonight. Any suggestions, Barbara?
W: Well, how about the French restaurant near the KFC? Frankly, I’ve had enough of our canteen food.
Q: What do we learn about the woman?
6. W: Hey, if you can’t enjoy the music at a sensible volume, why not use earphones? I’m preparing for the speech contest.
M: Oh, sorry. I didn’t realize I’ve been bothering you all this time.
Q: What is the man probably doing?
7. M: Finally, I’ve got the chance to put on my new suit tonight. I hope to make a good impression on your family.
W: Come on! It’s only a family reunion. So jeans and T-shirts are just fine.
Q: What does the woman mean?
8. M: Would you like to see those pants in brown and navy blue? These two colors are coming in this season.
W: Oh, actually grey is my favorite color, but I prefer something made from cotton, 100% cotton I mean.
Q: What is the woman looking for?