21. The news came as no surprise to me. I _____ for some time that the factory was going to shut down.
A. knew B. had known C. have known D. know
22. _____ people food, housing and jobs is what a government should first consider after a natural disaster happens.
A. Offered B. Offering C. Offer D. Being offered
23. Could I speak to _____ is in charge of International Sales, please?
A. anyone B. someone C. whoever D. no matter who
24. Can you imagine how much _____ my car looked after being airbrushed?
A. well B. good C. best D. better
25. They don’t know what is going to happen when the project _____.
A. will finish B. has finished C. will be finished D. is finished
26. EBay, Amazon and Wal-Mart are popular websites _____ people can sell goods to each other.
A. where B. which C. when D. whose
27. The headmaster will not permit the change in the course, nor _____ it a thought.
A. does he even give B. he even gives
C. will he even give D. he will even give
28. The farmers expanded their production to meet the increasing demand _____ locally grown food.
A. for B. in C. of D. to
29. The version _____ to be closest to the author’s original now belongs to a national museum in Paris.
A. is thought B. thinking C. being thought D. thought
30. It rained continuously for about 3 hours on the way, completely _____ his appointment with the interviewer.
A. ruined B. ruining C. to ruin D. ruins
31. It was very kind of you to do the washing-up, but you _____ it.
A. needn’t do B. shouldn’t do C. mustn’t have done D. didn’t have to do
32. She _____ with the symphony orc hestra three times this season.
A. played B. has played C. has been playing D. is playing
33. It was probably at that moment _____ I understood what kindness really was.
A. that B. when C. which D. what