1. 汽车工业的发展必然会伴随着交通阻塞问题。（be sure to）
Traffic jam is sure to go with the development of auto industry.
2. 在外滩你可以看到从19世纪到21世纪各个年代建造的大厦。（ranging from）
Along the Bund, you can see the buildings of all periods, ranging from the 19th Century to the 21st Century.
3. 在豫园周边许多古老建筑完好地保留着。它们和四周的现代化建筑构成强烈对比。（sharp contrast）
Around the Yu-Garden, quite a few old buildings are well-preserved, and they form a sharp contrast against the modern highrises nearby.
4. 如果上海以这样快的速度发展下去，10年后它将是什么模样? (be like)
What will Shanghai be like ten years from now on if it keeps developing at its fast pace?
When shopping, credit card is replacing cash. The former is easier and safer.
The convenience shop at the street corner provides round-the –clock service.
7. 不要鼓励高中生买时装。他们会超出经济条件去花钱的。（beyond one’s means）
Don’t encourage high school students to buy dresses in fashion. They may spend money beyond their means.
A sugar-free cola is substituting for traditional sweet soft drinks.
A good book is worth reading many times.
10. 年轻人跟着音乐开始跳舞时，老年人受到鼓舞也想加入他们的行列了。（to the music, inspire）
When the young started dancing to the music, the old felt inspired to join them.
11. 朱莉爱体操就像别的姑娘爱时装一样。（the same way）
Juliet loves gymnastics the same way other girls do fashion.
He grew up in the country, and is used to getting up early.
I’m good at swimming and I can’t resist the temptation of water sports.
14. 乔治迷上了极限运动，比如蹦极。（crazy about）
George is crazy about extreme sports such as bungee jumping.
15. 除了成本这一项，委员会几乎批准了该项目的各个方面。（approve of, respect, except for）
The committee approved of the project in almost every respect except for the cost.
The public would favor a plain and effective airport over a luxurious one.
17. 大多数居民倾向于骑自行车去上班或上学。（in favor of）
The majority of the residents are in favor of cycling to work or to school.
Both teachers and students are strongly against too much work in holidays.
19. 出于众多的理由，穷国百姓反对使用生物燃料。（object to, bio-fuel）
People from poor countries object to the use of bio-fuel for many reasons.
20. 林老师督促我们就像督促自己的孩子一样。（drive/push sb. hard）
Miss Lin drives/pushes us hard the way she does her own children.