16. He bought a knife and fork ________.
A. to eat B. to eat with C. for eating D. to eat by
17. The little village which lies __________ the railway for 20 miles is ___________
the great man was born.
A. off; where B. at; when C. to; how D. by; why
18. The window which hasn’t been cleaned for at least 3 weeks requires ____. Who’d
like to take the job?
A. to clean B. cleaning C. cleaned D. being cleaned
19. Everyone present at the meeting agreed to stick to the _____ that everyone should be treated fairly.
A. purpose B. ambition C. principle D. level
20. After the war, that country _______ their defense works in case of the next unexpected attack.
A. raised B. strengthened C. increased D. powered
21. Great efforts have been ____to improve people’s living conditions in China in the past two years.
A. got B. won C. made D. did
22. When he came back with plenty of money, his father ______ three days before.
A. had died B. was dead C. died D. had been dead
23. The fire was finally ______ after the building had ______ for two hours.
A. put off; caught fire B. put away; been on fire
C. put out; caught fire D. put out; been on fire
24. He did everything he could _______ the old man.
A. to save B. save C. saving D saved
25.—Shall I give you a hand with this as you are so busy now?
A. Of course you can B. If you like
C. it’s up to you D. It couldn’t be better
26. Everyone has periods in their lives _____ everything seems very hard.
A. when B. where C. which D. that
27. When he heard the news, he hurried home,______ the book ______ on the desk.
A. leaving; lying open B. to leave; lying open
C. left; lying open D. leaving; lying opened
28. Who do you think he would _____ a letter of congratulation to our monitor?
A. have written B. have to write C. have write D. have been writing
29. Taiyuan, _____ in the centre of Shanxi province is a most beautiful city.
A. located B. to locate C. locate D. locating
30. I was told that there were about 50 foreign students _____Chinese in the school, most____were from Germany.
A. study, of whom B. study, of them C. studying, of them D. studying, of whom
31. Hurricane brought down a great number of houses, _____ thousands of people homeless.
A. to make B. making C. made D. having made
32. We need clean air, but _____, air pollution is generally present, especially in cities.
A. fortunately B. strangely C. sadly D. hopefully
33. I feel greatly honoured _____ the chance to speak here. I’m feeling very excited.
A. to give B. to be giving C. to have been given D. to have given
34._____ two children attending college, the parents have to work really hard to make the ends meet.
A. From B. For C. Of D. With
35. — Sorry to have hurt you the other day.
— _____, but don’t do it again.
A. Forget it B. Don’t mention it C. Don’t worry D. With pleasure
Perhaps the most interesting person I have ever met is an Italian professor of philosophy who teaches at the University of Pisa. 36 I last met this man eight years ago, I have not forgotten his 37 qualities. First of all, I respected his 38 to teaching. Because his lectures were always well-prepared and clearly delivered, students crowded into his classroom. His followers liked the fact that he 39 what he taught Further more, he could be counted on to explain his ideas in an 40 way, introducing such aids (辅助) to 41 as oil paintings, music, and guest lecturers. Once he 42 sang a song in class in order to make a point clear. 43 , I admired the fact that he would talk to students outside the classroom or talk with them 44 the telephone. Drinking coffee in the cafe, he would easily make friends with students. Sometimes he would 45 a student to a game of chess (国际象棋) 46 he would join student groups to discuss a variety of 47 : agriculture, diving and mathematics. Many young people visited him in his office for 48 on their studies; others came to his home for social evenings. Finally, I was 49 by his lively sense of humor. He believed that no lesson is a success 50 , during it, the students and the professor 51 at least one loud 52 . Through his sense of humor, he made learning more 53 and more lasting, If it is 54 that life makes a wise man smile and a foolish man cry, 55 my friend is indeed a wise man.
36. A. Although B. When C. Even if D. Now that
37. A. basic B. special C. common D. particular
38. A. attention B. introduction C. relation D. devotion
39. A. insisted on B. talked about C. believed in D. agreed with
40. A. imaginative B. ordinary C. opposite D. open
41. A. listening B. understanding C. information D. discovery
42. A. also B. nearly C. even D. only
43. A. Later B. Secondly C. However D. Therefore
44. A. with B. by C. from D. on
45. A. invite B. lead C. prefer D. show
46. A. As a matter of fact B. Later on C. Other times D. In general
47. A. questions B. subjects C. matters D. contents
48. A. support B. explanation C. experience D. advice
49. A. disturbed B. moved C. attracted D. defeated
50. A. for B. until C. since D. unless
51. A. hear B. suggest C. share D. demand
52. A. laugh B. cry C. shout D. question
53. A. helpful B. enjoyable C. practical D. useful
54. A. natural B. normal C. hopeful D. true
55. A. so B. for C. then D. yet