Unit 3 Tomorrow's world
1. Learn how to form abstract nouns from verbs and adjectives by adding suffixes.
2. Learn some words related to computers.
3. Expand related vocabulary and apply them practically.
Step 1 Revision
Help students revise the common suffix used to form adjectives learnt in Unit 1 using the following chart and ask students to give more examples.
Suffix Meaning Examples(adjectives)
-ical having the quality of medical, electrical, grammatical, practical
-able having the ability of believable, acceptable, reasonable, enjoyable
-ous like, full of adventurous, dangerous, prosperous, conscious
-ful characterized by joyful, helpful, useful, mouthful, handful
-less without useless, careless, helpless, hopeless, cloudless
Step 2 Lead-in
1. Ask students to compare the following two groups of words.
Group 1: house, milk, driver, dog, paper
Group 2: revision, preparation, decision, difference, arrangement
Ask students to consider the following questions:
(1) Which part of speech is each of the following words?
(2) What are the similarities and the differences between the two groups?
(1) They are all nouns.
(2) The words in Group 1 refer to physical things and those in Group 2 refer to ideas, actions and qualities.
2. Tell students that the nouns in Group 2 are called abstract nouns. Ask students to read the definition of abstract nouns on page 46.
3. Ask students to think of more abstract nouns. And show them the following words as examples:
revision, direction, decision, preparation, satisfaction, argument, judgement, disappointment, excitement, civilization, dependence, difference, assistance, pleasure, loyalty, cruelty, action, failure, carelessness, happiness
Step 3 Ways to form abstract nouns from verbs and adjectives
1. Ask students to categorize the words on the black board according to the suffixes. Then ask students to see what words they are and which part of speech they are if the suffixes are removed using the following form.
Nouns Original words Part of speech Suffix
revision revise verb -sion
decision decide verb -sion
preparation prepare verb -tion
satisfaction satisfy verb -tion
argument argue verb -ment
judgement judge verb -ment
dependence depend verb -ence
assistance assist verb -ence
difference differ verb -ence
pleasure please verb -ure
failure fail verb -ure
carelessness careless adjective -ness
happiness happy adjective -ness
civilization civil adjective -tion
loyalty loyal adjective -ty
cruelty, cruel adjective -ty
2. Ask students to read the instructions on page 46. Ask them to compare the words on the screen with the words in the tables.
3. Tell students that most abstract nouns are uncountable, only a few of them are countable. Ask them to read the following examples:
hope→a hope; idea→an idea; situation→a situation; knowledge→a knowledge of…
4. Ask students to do the exercise on page 46 individually.
(1) developmemt (2) popularity (3) failure (4) connection
(5) improvements (6) presentation (7) achievement (8) admiration
Step 4 Words related to computers
1. Ask students to read carefully the picture on page 47 and ask students to answer the following questions:
(1) Can you name the different parts of the computer?
(2) Can you describe their functions?
floppy disc a flat piece of plastic for storing information
USB disc a portable, pocket-sized disk that can store a lot more information than a floppy disk
CD-ROM/DVD-ROM a CD or a DVD on which large amounts of information, sound and pictures can be stored
keyboard a set of keys for typing
printer a machine that puts the words and pictures onto paper
mouse a small device moved by hand to move the cursor on a computer screen
mouse mat a small square of plastic that is the best kind of surface on which to use a computer mouse
hard drive a disk that can store more information than a floppy or USB disk
monitor/LCD Monitor a screen that shows information from a computer
screen/LCD screen a part where you see the words and pictures
speaker a part of the computer where the sound comes out
2. Ask students to read the instructions and complete the exercises on page 47.
(1) keyboard (2) mouse (3) data (4) floppy disks
(5) CD-ROMs (6) CPU (7) connect (8) e-mails
(9) information (10) Web
Step 5 Summary（
Make a summary about what have been learned in this period.
Step 6 Homework
1. Review what you have learned in this lesson.
2. Try to find out more words related to computers and Internet.
高一英语教案：Unit 2 Growing pains（2）
一份优秀教案往往凝聚着设计者教育思想、智慧、动机、经验、个性和教学艺术性。而一份优秀的教案恰恰能帮助我们有效地开展教学活动。对于英语教学更是如此，由于英语涉及的知识点比较多，这份教案更是需要教师费劲心思。本文是一篇译林牛津版高一英语第2单元 Growing pains 的教案，供老师们参考。
- 高一英语教案：Unit7 To Your Good Health
- 高一英语教案：Unit17 Great Women
- 高一英语教案：Unit12 Art and literature
- 高一英语教案：Unit4 Unforgettable experiences