Unit 4 Earthquakes
第一课时：Warming-up & vocabulary
__________ 摇动，颤动 __________ 地震
__________ 井 __________ 上升，增加，起身
__________ 发臭的 __________ 突然爆发
__________ 废墟，毁灭 __________ 极度的
__________ 损害,伤害 v. __________ 幸存者，残存物
__________ 破坏 v __________ 砖块
__________ 无用的 __________ 震惊，打击
__________ 营救 __________ 电
__________ 灾害 __________ 组织v,
__________ 埋葬，隐藏 __________ 矿，矿井
__________ 掩蔽，遮蔽处 __________ 判断
__________ 荣誉，给予荣誉 __________ 新鲜的，无经验的
__________ 百分率 __________ 裂缝，使开裂
__________ 蒸汽，水汽 __________ 使惊吓，吓唬
__________ 受惊的，受恐吓的 __________ 祝贺 n
__________ 裁判员n；判断v __________ 表达v，速递
__________ 骑自行车的人 __________ 军队
right__________ 立刻 burst ___ ____ = burst ____ ____突然大哭
_____ _____ end 结束 lay _____ _______ 成为废墟
dig _____ 掘出，发现 be _____ ___ / bury _____ ___专心… ___(_____) number of大量的 give _____ 分发，发出（气味，热等）
_____/ _____ a speech 作演讲 ________ from / by 从…判断
___ honor ___ 为了纪念… tens ___ __________ of 成千上万
_____ _____ 煤矿 get _____ __________ 做好充足准备
begin to __________ 开始复苏 __________ of 取代
think ______ ___ 对…考虑少 think ______ of 对…高度评价
__________ workers 营救人员 be _____ =be missing 丢失
build _____ ___ _____ 为幸存者建造避难所
be ____ __ = take _____ __为..感到自豪 _____ the competition 赢得比赛
be pleased ___ __ 很高兴做… break _____ 爆发
be ________ under sth被困在下面 ___ ___ north __ 在某地方的北面
put ___ 搭建（临时住所等） wake ___ 叫醒某人
________ sth. for sth. 为…做准备
语法：由who/ whom/ whose/ that /which等关系代词引导的定语从句
I would like to _______ _______ _______ … who ….（我想向。。。表达我的谢意，他/她。。。）
Here, I wish to express my _______ ____ the great efforts …（在此，我想感谢。。。的努力）
I ______________thank …(我还要感谢…)
No words are _______ _____ to express our …(没有任何词足以表达我们的。。。)
burst, frighten, judge, organize, rescue, shake, ruin, destroy, injure, shelter, honour, disaster, electricity, shock
1. The flood _____ a lot of houses and many people became homeless.
2. After _____ was cut off, the lights went out.
3. ______ always come suddenly and cause a lot of damage.
4. The ______ girl was speechless after she saw the terrible scene.
5. A car accident happened with two people killed and one seriously ______.
6. St. Petersburg was almost in ____ after it was under attack for 900 days by the Germans.
7. The rescue workers put up a lot of tents so that the homeless survivors could be ______.
8. Next month a new monument will be built in ________ of those who died in the terrible disaster.
9. The river ______ its banks and flooded the village.
10. They were badly ______ by the news of her death.
quake useless shock rescue disaster bury congratulations especially injure destroy
1. (of persons) to shake or tremble from cold, weakness, fear, anger, etc；(of things) to shake or tremble, as from shock, internal convulsion, or instability. __________
2. of no use; not serving any purpose; without useful qualities; of no practical good. __________
3. to strike with great surprise and emotional disturbance. __________
4. to set free, as from danger or imprisonment; save . __________
5. a terrible event, esp. one occurring suddenly and causing great loss of life, damage, or hardship, as a flood, airplane crash, or business failure . __________
6. to put in the ground and cover with earth . __________
7. used to express joy in the success or good fortune of another. __________
8. to an exceptional degree; in particular . __________
9. hurt; damage, esp. for result of an accident . __________
10. break to pieces; make useless; put an end to. __________
1. When an earthquake happens, the ground will _________ (晃动)greatly.
2. The fish must go bad, for it is ________（有气味的）.
3. When she heard the news that her husband was killed in the accident, she _______（爆发） into tears.
4. The two countries were separated by a _________（运河）.
5. Water can be turned into s________ when heated.
6. The desk is covered with a lot of ________(灰尘). Would you please clean it?
7. After the earthquake, the whole city was in r_________.
8. An accident happened. Luckily, nobody was _________（受伤的）.
9. There was no ________（幸存者） in the air crash.
10. _______（判断） from his accent, we know he comes from the west.
立刻，马上 ____________ 水管 ____________
突然大笑起来 ____________ 上百万的 ____________
结束，终结 ____________ 破败不堪，一片废墟 ____________
毁坏一个城市 ____________ 营救某人脱离危险 ____________
自然灾害 ____________ 从……来判断 ____________
挖掘，发现 ____________ 煤矿 ____________
为幸存者搭建避身处 ____________ 弄伤一支胳膊 ____________
1. Why don’t you ____ a club? That will make you stronger and help you achieve your goal more quickly.
A. organize B. make C. build D. discuss
2. _____ were sent to hospital and ____ were buried.
A. The injury, the death B. The injuring, the dying
C. The injured, the dead D. The injured, the died
3. About ____ of the workers in that steel works ____ young people.
A. third fifths, are B. three fifths, are
C. three fifths, is D. three fifth, are
4. He got _____ in the battle.
A. damaged B. harmed C. hurt D. wounded
5. All the people present felt ____ at the _____ news.
A. shocking, shocking B.shocked, shocking
C. shocked, shocked D. shocking, shocked
6. I didn’t ____ becoming a doctor in my childhood.
A. think B. believe C. imagine D. recognize
7. Bob is sure to pass the exam, for he is well _____ for it.
A. preparing B. prepared C. got ready D. preparation
8. After the rain, the river ______ by two feet.
A. raised B. rose C. lifted D. went
9. Wash your hands with soap _____ the experiment.
A. in the end of B. at the end of C. to the end of D. by the end of
10. His strength had almost _____ when they found him in the desert.
A. given out B. given in C. given up D. given off
11. Many people came to the meeting, _____ of whom left early.
A. number B. the numbers C. the number D. a number
12. It’s quite _____ to score a goal in FIFA World Cup.
A. a prize B. a price C. an honour D. a value
13. Do you have any difficulty ________ ?
A. on listening B. in listening
C. for listening D. to listening
14. _____ is no wonder that the building is _____.
A. It; in ruins B. That; in ruins C. This; in ruin D It; in ruin
15. In that big fire all their houses were_______, so they had to build new ones.
A. hurt B. harmed C. injured D. destroyed
a. What happened?
b. When and where did it happen?
Part 1. ________________________________________
Part 4. ________________________________________
Before the earthquake (Paragraph 1) 1_____________ were happening both in the countryside and in the city of Tangshan but 2______________ them.
During the earthquake (Paragraph 2-3) The earthquake 3________ the city and 4_______ the people.
After the earthquake (Paragraph 4) Soldiers were sent to dig out those trapped and 5_______ the dead; 6_______ were built for the homeless and 7__________ was taken to the city.
What’s the population of Tangshan in 1976? About 1._________
What time did the earthquake happen? At about 2.___________________.
How long did the earthquake last? 3._______ seconds.
What’s the number of people killed or injured in the quake? Over 4._______.
How serious was the earthquake? 5._______ of the factories and buildings and 6._______ of the homes were gone; 7.___________________ cows would never give milk again; 8.___________ pigs and 9._______ ____ chickens were dead.
How many soldiers were sent to rescue? 10._______.
1. People in Tangshan were warned of the earthquake and didn’t go to bed that night.( )
2. People in Beijing also felt the earthquake.( )
3. More than 400,000people were killed in the quake.( )
4. Many rescue workers and doctors were trapped under the ruins during the aftershock.( )
5. People tried to get fresh water from under the ground.( )
1_________ ______ happened in Tang Shan. For a few days. Water in the wells 2_____________. From the 3______ of wells 4________ ______ come out. Mice, chicken, pigs and even fish became 5________. At 3:00 am, everything began to 6______.It seemed that the world was 7_______ ______ ____. 8_____-____ of the nation 9____ it. 10_______ ______ ____cut across the city. The city lay 11_______ ______.
Two-thirds of the people 12_____ or 13______ _____. Then later that afternoon, another big quake 14______ Tang Shan. People began to wonder 15________ ________ ____ ________ _________ _______. But all hope 16_____ ____ _________. 17_______ came to help those 18__________. Slowly, the city began to 19________ _______.
2．臭气 _____¬________ 3. 1000公里以外 _____________
4. 2／3的人 __________¬___ 5. ．．．的数量 _____________
6. 无法安全通行 _____________ 7. 数以万计的 _____________
8. 救援人员 _____________ 9. 挖出 _____________
10. 又开始出现生机 _____________ 11. right away _____________
12. at an end _____________ 13. burst into tears _____________
14. lie/ be in ruins _____________ 15. reach as many as 400,000 __________
16. blow away _____________ 17. instead of _____________
18. be trapped under the ruins __________ 19. build shelters for survivors __________
20. be proud of / take pride in__________
Professor Yu ______ ______ ______ before ______ his speech.
All the students ______ ________ _______ the Internet.
The police _______ a man _______ drowning.
She _______ very _______ ________ her children’s success.
______ ______ _______ the teacher was satisfied with what you had done.
________ _________ families _______ ________and many children were left ________ parents.
The war was __________ _________ ________.
They _______ _______ laughing.
9. 我得到你的信任, 感到十分荣幸.
I _______ highly _________ by your trust.
10. 地震过后, 全城到处都是颓垣断壁.
An earthquake left the whole town ________ ________.
The ground we walk on seems firm, but deep under the earth and under the sea the rocks change and move. In some parts of the world there are “fire mountains”, which we call volcanoes. From time to time they burst open and throw out fire and burning ash. These volcanoes are very dangerous.
Hong Kong does not have any volcanoes but there are many in Indonesia and Philippines. There is also a famous mountain near Tokyo, Japan, which is a volcano too. Its name is Mount Fuji. For much of the year, it is covered with snow.
One of the most famous volcanoes which erupted（喷发）in recent times was Krakatoa, on an island in Indonesia. The first explosions（爆发）took place on 20th May, 1883, but the big eruption did not come until the 26th and 27th August of that year. The people on the island were used to the explosions by that time, and so they were completely unprepared for this terrible happening. Almost all the people on the island died and the explosion also made huge waves in the sea, which drowned（淹死）many people on the other island nearby. After the eruption was over, people saw that the whole northern part of the island had completely disappeared. Scientists say that 15 cubic（立方）kilometers of rocks and ash were thrown up in the explosion. The noise of the explosion was heard nearly 5,000 kilometers away in the middle of the Indian Ocean, and the city of Jakarta was completely dark for about two and a half hours.
1. There are many volcanoes _____.
A. everywhere in the world B. under the earth and the sea
C. in Hong Kong D. in Indonesia
2. Mount Fuji is famous just because ________.
A. it is covered with snow for much of the year B. it is a volcano
C. it is near Tokyo D. It is in Japan
3. The people near Krakatoa were unprepared when it had its biggest explosion because people there ____.
A. had never met any explosions of the volcano before
B. were used to the explosions of the volcanoes by that time
C. didn’t want to leave their island
D. could do nothing but wait
4. People who lived 5,000 kilometers away from Krakatoa could _______.
A. see that 15 cubic kilometers of rocks and ashes were thrown up
B. hear the noise of explosion
C. see the huge waves D. see that Krakatoa was dark
引导定语从句的关系词有关系代词who, whom, whose, which和that等；关系副词有when, where, why等。关系词不仅起连接作用，而且还代表先行词并在定语从句中担任某一句子成分，关系代词作主语、宾语、定语、表语等，关系副词作状语。
定语从句的结构： 先行词__ +_______ +________
先行词是人或物, 在句中充当_____, _____,____,_____等成分用关系代词
1 介词后只能用_______ ，不能用_______ _______。
II.先行词是事或物, 在从句中作主语、宾语，用关系代词_______, _______。
1. 只用which: ¬¬¬¬______后, _______后。
○1先行词是或被指物的不定代词修饰，常用的不定代词有：¬¬¬¬______, ______, ______, _____, _____, _____, _____, _____ ______, ______,______, ______, ______等¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
○2先行词特指，为the +_____(包括last, next)/ _______/ ______/ _____等修饰时
○2直接在_____后作宾语时，不能用that引导，要用whom, whose或which，且不能省略。但当介词放在从句的末尾时，可以用______替代which, ______替代whom，也可以省略关系代词。
○3当先行词是指人的all, any, few, one(s), anyone, everyone, people 等时，多用______。
○5定语从句中，those who相当于意为“凡……的人”，表示的是两者以上的不定数量，who引导的定语从句用复数，不能用that代替。（注意：anybody who, he who中谓语动词用单数。
III. 先行词是事或物, 在从句中只用作定语，表示“…的”, 后加名词, 用关系代词_______。
指物 = the +名词 +_______, 指人= the +名词+_______。
IV. 关系代词whom, which前介词的选择看主句中的习惯搭配或从句中动词的搭配而决定，但从句中含有介词的短语动词一般_____(拆开,不拆开)，介词仍放在动词的后面。
○1引导词用错. 如：The book which cover is green was lost yesterday.(应改为______)
○2语序用错. 如：Is there anything else that can I do for you? (应改为______)
○3无先行词 如：Is this museum _____ you visited last Saturday? (应该填________ )
Is this the museum ______ we visited last Saturday? (应该填________ )
Tom is the only one of the boys who _____(like) playing football. (应该填________ )
Do you know the boy whom / who / that I talked with him just now? (应改为______)
高一英语教案：Unit 2 Growing pains（2）
一份优秀教案往往凝聚着设计者教育思想、智慧、动机、经验、个性和教学艺术性。而一份优秀的教案恰恰能帮助我们有效地开展教学活动。对于英语教学更是如此，由于英语涉及的知识点比较多，这份教案更是需要教师费劲心思。本文是一篇译林牛津版高一英语第2单元 Growing pains 的教案，供老师们参考。
- 高一英语教案：Unit7 To Your Good Health
- 高一英语教案：Unit17 Great Women
- 高一英语教案：Unit12 Art and literature
- 高一英语教案：Unit4 Unforgettable experiences