1. Give me a chance, ________ I’ll give you a wonderful surprise.
A. if B. or C. and D. while
2. ---Ok, I’ll fix your computer right now. ---Oh, take your time. __________.
A. I can’t stand it B. I’m in no hurry C. That’s a great idea D. It’s not my cup of tea
3. Wind is now the world’s fastest growing ________ of power.
A. source B. sense C. result D. root
4. _______ you start eating in a healthier way, weight control will become much easier.
A. unless B. Although C. Before D. Once
5. Anxiously, she took the dress out of the package and tried it on, only _________ it didn’t fit
A. to find B. found C. finding D. having found
6. _______ the school, the village has a clinic, which was also built with government support.
A. In reply to B. In addition to C. In charge of D. In place of
7. Clearly and thoughtfully________, the book inspires confidence in students who wish to seek their own answers.
A. writing B. to write C. written D. being written
8. Life the like ________ ocean; Only ________strong-willed can reach the other shore.
A. an; the B. the; a C. the ;/ D. / ; a
9. My parents always _______ great importance to my getting a good education.
A. have B. attach C. accept D. pay
10. ---How long have you been learning English?——About four months.----_________! Your English is so good.
A. You can’t be serious B. You got it C. I couldn’t agree more D. I’m stuck
11. We won’t start the work until all the preparations __________.
A. are being made B. will be made C. have been made D. had been made
12. English is a language shared by several diverse cultures, _________ uses it differently.
A. all of which B. each of which C. all of them D. each of them
13. The two countries are going to meet to _______ some barriers to trade between them.
A. make up B. use up C. turn down D. break down
14. I think _______ impresses me about his painting is the colours he uses.
A. what B. that C. which D. who
15. ________ the morning train, he would not have been late for the meeting.
A. Did he catch B. should be catch C. has he caught D. Had he caught
One night, when I was eight , my mother gently asked me a question I would never forget. “Sweetie, my company wants to 16 me but needs me to work in Brazil. This is like your teacher telling that you’ve done 17 and allowing you to skip a grade(跳级), but you’ll have to 18 your friends. Would you say yes to your teacher?” She gave me a hug and asked me to think about it. I was puzzled. The question kept me 19 for the rest of the night I had said “yes” but for the first time, I realized the20 decisions adults had to make.
For almost four years, my mother would call us from Brazil every day. Every evening I’d 21 wait for the phone to ring and then tell her every detail of my day. A phone call, however, could never replace her 22 and it was difficult not to feel lonely at times.
During my fourth-grade Christmas break, we flew to Rio to visit her. Looking at her large 23 apartment, I became 24 how lonely my mother must have been in Brazil herself. It was then25 I started to appreciate the tough choices she had to make on 26 family and work. 27 difficult decisions, she used to tell me, you wouldn’t know whether you made the right choice, but you could always make the best out of the situation, with passion and a 28 attitude.
Back home , I 29 myself that what my mother could do, I could, too. If she 30 to live in Rio all by herself, I, too, could learn to be 31 . I learn how to take care of myself and set high but achievable 32.
My mother is now back with us. But I will never forget what the 33 has really taught me. Sacrifices 34 in the end. The separation between us has proved to be 35 for me.
16. A. attract B. promote C. surprise D. praise
17. A. little B. much C. well D. wrong
18. A. leave B. refuse C. contact D. forgive
19. A. explaining B. sleeping C. wondering D. regretting
20. A. poor B. timely C. final D. tough
21. A. eagerly B. politely C. nervously D. curiously
22. A. patience B. presence C. intelligence D. Influence
23. A. Comfortable B. Expensive C. Empty D. Modern
24. A. Interested in B. aware of C. doubtful D. satisfied with
25. A. when B. where C. which D. that
26. A. abandoning B. balancing C. comparing D. mixing
27. A. Depending on B. supplied with C. Faced with D. Insisting on
28. A. different B. friendly C. positive D. general
29. A. criticized B. informed C. warned D. reminded
30. A. managed B. offered C. attempted D. expected
31. A. grateful B. energetic C. independent D. practical
32. A. examples B. limits C. rules D. goals
33. A. question B. experience C. history D. occasion
34. A. pay off B. come back C. run out D. turn up
35. A. blessing B. gathering C. failure D. pleasure