1. --- Jack bought a new mobile phone the other day.
--- ________? That’s his third one in just one month.
A. Had he B. Did he C. Does he D. Has he
2. It is reported that the floods have left about _________ people homeless.
A. two thousand B. two-thousands C. two thousands D. two thousands of
3. --- You should apologize to her, Barry.
--- ______, but it’s not going to be easy.
A. I suppose so B. I feel so C. I prefer to D. I like to
4. I like _____ color of your skirt. It is _____ good match for your blouse.
A. a; the B. a; a C. the; a D. the; the
5. Why not try your lick downtown, Bob? That’s ______ the best jobs are.
A. where B. what C. when D. why
6. Work gets done ______ when people do it together, and the rewards are higher too.
A. easily B. very easy C. more easily D. easier
7. --- Look! He’s running so fast!
--- Hard to _______ his legs were once broken.
A. know B. imagine C. realize D. find
8. Many of them turned a deaf ear to his advice, _______ they knew it to be valuable.
A. as if B. now that C. even though D. so that
9. The children talked so loudly at dinner table that I had to struggle ______.
A. to be heard B. to have heard C. hearing D. being heard
10. It _____ we had stayed together for a couple of weeks ____ I found we had a lot in common.
A. was until; when B. was until; that C. wasn’t until; when D. wasn’t until; that
11. We firmly believe that war never settles anything. It only _____ violence.
A. runs into B. comes from C. leads to D. begins with
12. Of the seven days in the a week, Saturday is said to be the most popular ____ for a wedding in some countries.
A. way B. situation C. event D. choice
13. Would you please ______ this form for me to see if I’ve filled it in right?
A. take off B. look after C. give up D. go over
14. Chan’s restaurant on Baker Street, ______ used to be poorly run, is now a successful business.
A. that B. which C. who D. where
15. --- My cat’s really fat.
--- You ______ have given her so much food.
A. wouldn’t B. couldn’t C. shouldn’t D. mustn’t
16. --- He got his first book published. It turned out to be a bestseller.
--- When was _____?
--- _____ was in 2000 when he was still in college.
A. that; This B. this; It C. it; This D. that; It
17. Professor James will give us a lecture on the Western culture, but when and where ____ yet.
A. hasn’t been decided B. haven’t decided C. isn’t being decided D. aren’t decided
18. The play had already been on for quite some time when we ____ at the New Theatre.
A. have arrived B. arrived C. had arrived D. arrive
19. The open-air celebration has been put off _______ the bad weather.