例：To make members of a team perform better, the trainer first of all has to know
their _____ and weaknesses．
A. strengths B. benefits C. techniques D. values
21. Poetry written from the ______ of the urban youth tends to reveal their anxiety over a lack of sense of belonging.
A. perspective B. priority C. participation D. privilege
22. Carbon dioxide, which makes a ______ between us and the sun, prevents heat from getting out of the atmosphere easily, so the earth is becoming warmer.
A. difference B. comparison C. connection D. barrier
23. While intelligent people can often ______ the complex, a fool is more likely to complicate the simple.
A. sacrifice B. substitute C. simplify D. survive
24. According to the law, all foreigners have to ______ with the local police within two weeks of arrival.
A. associate B. dispute C. negotiate D. register
25. Butterflies ______ a sweet liquid produced by flowers, which bees and other insects collect.
A. carry on B. feed on C. put on D. focus on
26. In much of the animal world, night is the time ______ for sleep—pure and simple.
A. set aside B. set down C. set off D. set up
27. People complain that decisions to approve or deny a permit are often ______ rather than based on fixed criteria.
A. appropriate B. conscious C. arbitrary D. controversial
28. He didn’t selfishly keep for himself the money inherited from his uncle. Instead, he made a ______ contribution to help the community.
A. commercial B. generous C. comparable D. profitable
29. Don’t defend him any more. It’s obvious that he ______ destroyed the fence of the garden even without apology.
A. accidentally B. carelessly C. deliberately D. clumsily
30. An artist who was recently traveling on a ferry to the southern island discovered ______ a long lost antique Greek vase.
A. at random B. by chance C. in turn D. on occasion
Zigfried, a little mouse, blew his breath on the frosty window of the farmhouse and rubbed it to see the outside. Still nobody came. Maybe today, he thought 31 . It was only a few days before Christmas and he was watching for a miracle (奇迹).
This farmhouse had been 32 too long. It needed a family. Zigfried’s 33 made a noise. He realized that he hadn’t eaten anything since yesterday. He jumped from the windowsill (窗沿), grabbed a 34 from his home, and went next door to Farmer Mike’s.
Farmer Mike’s house had been a great place for the little mouse 35 the farmer married a wife who had a cat. Zigfried 36 when he thought of it. He looked around cautiously as he 37 into the room where grain was stored and was quite 38 as he filled his bag with wheat. He was turning to leave when suddenly he 39 a hot breath about his ear. His heart beat 40 , and without thinking he started to run and luckily 41 the cat’s paws (爪子).
The next afternoon Zigfried heard some good news: a 42 family would be moving into the farmhouse soon. Zigfried’s granny would arrive on Christmas Eve to 43 with him. He hoped that the family would come before his granny came. Before long, a car came 44 the road leading to the house, with butter sandwiches, cheese and chocolate.
Zigfried’s Christmas miracle did arrive!
The house came 45 the next few days. Zigfried 46 every single hour of them. 47 , the day before Christmas when he was drinking hot chocolate with a 48 smile at the door of his home, he heard the 49 of the children of the family about what they might get for Christmas. What? A cat? The 50 froze on his face; his mouth fell wide open. After a long while, he at last found his voice: “Hey! Whose Christmas miracle is this?”
31. A. carefully B. excitedly C. hopefully D. proudly
32. A. shabby B. noisy C. messy D. empty
33. A. mouth B. nose C. stomach D. throat
34. A. bag B. stick C. bowl D. coat
35. A. although B. until C. whereas D. unless
36. A. leapt B. sniffed C. trembled D. withdrew
37. A. broke B. marched C. paced D. stole
38. A. curious B. nervous C. pitiful D. sensible
39. A. took B. released C. felt D. drew
40. A. strongly B. irregularly C. slowly D. wildly
41. A. escaped B. seized C. rubbed D. scratched
42. A. close B. happy C. new D. young
43. A. celebrate B. communicate C. compete D. compromise
44. A. across B. from C. off D. up
45. A. alive B. loose C. open D. still
46. A. counted B. enjoyed C. missed D. wasted
47. A. However B. Instead C. Moreover D. Therefore
48. A. bitter B. forced C. polite D. satisfied
49. A. introduction B. discussion C. comment D. debate
50. A. blood B. smile C. tear D. sweat