Part Ⅱ Language Knowledge (45 marks)
Section A (15 marks)
Directions: For each of the following unfinished sentences there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the one that best completes the sentence.
The wild flowers looked like a soft orange blanket _ the desert.
A. covering B. covered C. cover D, to cover
The answer is A.
21. We’ve had a good start, but next, more work needs _____to achieve the final success.
A. being done B. do C. to be done D. to do
22. Don’t worry. The hard work that you do now ______later in life.
A. will be repaid B. was being repaid C. has been repaid D. was repaid
23. Time, ________ correctly, is money in the bank.
A. to use B. used C. using D. use
24. Bicycling is good exercise; _______, it does not pollute the air.
A. nevertheless B. besides C. otherwise D. therefore
25. Close the door of fear behind you, and you _____ the door of faith open before you.
A. saw B. have seen C. will see D. are seeing
26. Everyone in the village is very friendly. It doesn’t matter ____you have lived there for a short or a long time.
A. why B. how C. whether D. when
27. "The moment _____soon," he thought to himself, waiting nervously.
A. came B. has tome C. was coming D. is coming
28. _____I always felt I would pass the exam, I never thought I would get an A.
A. While B. Once C. If D. Until
29. Sorry, I am too busy now. If I _____ time, I would certainly go for an outing with you.
A. have had B. had had C. have D. had
30. It was not until I came here _____I realized this place was famous for not only its beauty but also its weather.
A. who B. that C. where D. before
31. The lecture, _____at 7:00 pm laze night, was followed by an observation of the moon with telescopes.
A. starting B. being started C. to start D. to be started
32. hard you try, it is difficult to lose weight without cutting down the amount you eat.
A. However B. Whatever C. Whichever D. Whenever
33. -I remember you were a talented pianist at college. Can you play the piano for me?
- Sorry, I the piano for years.
A. don't play B. wasn't playing C. haven't played D. hadn't played
34. Care of the soul is a gradual process _____even the small details of life should be considered.
A. what B. in what C. which D. in which
35. All the scientific evidence that increasing use of chemicals in farming damaging our health.
A. show; are B. shows; are C. show; is D. shows; is
Section B (18 marks)
Directions: For each blank in the following passage there are four words or phrases marked A，B，C and D. Fill in each blank with the word or phrase that best fits the context.
"What's it like to have a gap between your teeth?" a girl asked me one day.
Nobody had ever _. 36 _ before. My hand unconsciously rose to cover my mouth. But, as she looked at me, sincerely waiting for__37__, 1 realized she was not trying to be rude. "I never think about it," I truthfully replied. She nodded and turned away. I was left wondering if people_38__ me and saw only gappy teeth.
Later that day at home, I began to __39 __ my teeth again. I felt upset. I thought my life would be somehow better if my teeth were not gappy. How I wanted the perfect teeth that everyone else seemed to have!
Of course, Mom 40 everything . She has lived her entire life with gappy teeth, and tried to convince me that there was nothing to __41__. When I refused to listen, she told me I could get the surgery to close the gap if it was that important. "Let's be 42__, though," she said. "If everyone got surgeries to become pretty, everyone would be exactly the same. There is beauty in differences."
Her __43__ made me consider my teeth seriously. The thought of losing my gap was more terrible than the reality that people were going to notice it. I realized how important it was to me. It is part of my 44 _.
Nowadays many people do ridiculous things to realize their dream of "perfection." The__45_ is that no one is perfect. When all potential for ugliness is removed, so is all of the potential for 46__.
So if that girl ever asked about my teeth 47___, I would truthfully answer. "You know? It's really cute."
36. A. faced B. guessed C. asked D. imagined
37. A. an offer B. an answer C. a suggestion D. a result
38. A heard of B. thought of C. talked about D. looked at
39. A. consider B. brush C. cover D. appreciate
40. A. admitted B. noticed C. controlled D. changed
41. A. worry about B. put off C. give up D. wipe out
42. A. friendly B. lovely C. honest D. helpful
43. A. words B. jokes C. dreams D. acts
44. A. ability B. decision C. goal D. identity
45. A. possibility B. purpose C. truth D. choice
46. A. courage B. wisdom C. kindness D. beauty
47. A. once B. again C. too D. instead
Section C (12 marks)
Directions: Complete the following passage by filling in each blank with one word that best fits the context.
Keeping in touch with our friends is an important part of friendship. This does not mean that __48__ have to write or call our friends every day. It does mean, however, that we __49__ care enough about our friends to find out how they are doing from time to time.
People have different habits about keeping in touch with others. Some like to call their friends, sometimes many times __50__ day. Others prefer to e-mail their friends. Still __51__ prefer writing letters so that they can include photos or interesting articles __52__ the envelopes along with their letters. Some even write postcards while they are on vacation __53__ send them to friends.
Every kind of communication is important. It is __54__ important what kind of call we make or letter we send. __55__ is important is that we let others know we care about them.