1. Check the homework exercises.
2. Revise articles of clothing by asking questions. Get as many as possible from the students and write them on the blackboard.
Questions for the teacher to ask the students:
1) What words have you learned about clothes ?
trousers, coat, jacket, shirt, overcoat……
2) What color do you like best if you buy a blouse ?
a gray one, red one, blue one, black one, yellow one, white one ……
Step Ⅱ Warming-up
Look at the picture on P 55.
1. Ask the students to say something about the picture. Let the students know a new word: blouse.
Answer: It’s a clothes shop. There are many clothes in the shop. Two women are talking now. They are talking about the white blouse and the red blouse in the shop.
2. Ask the students how different clothes are washed. Make a table on the blackboard if you like
HOT WASH white cotton
WARM WASH coloured cotton
COLD WASH silk , wool
Step Ⅲ Listening and reading
Let the students listen to the dialogue once or twice and then answer same questions.
1. What did the customer buy last week?
… She bought, a blouse last weds
2. What's wrong with the blouse?
… When doe washed the blouse, the color ran.
3. What did the customer ask the assistant to do?
…She asked the assistant to change the clothes or give the money back to her.
4. Did the assistant give the money back to the customer ? Why ?
…No, because the manager of the shop wasn't in. And the assistant couldn't decide whether to give it back to her or not.
Step Ⅳ Practice
Let students fill in the blanks of the dialogue.
SA: Good afternoon. Can I 1 you ?
C: Yea, please. I 2 this radio the day before yesterday. But there is something 3 with it. Last night it just couldn't. I 4 can't use it.
SA: Let me 5 . It scans as if it hasn't been 6 properly. Has it been left in the sun or__ 7_?
C: Of 8 not. How can I be 9 foolish ?
SA: 10 it's the 11 of the factory that made it. I think I will send back to the 12 and get it repaired.
C: You may 13 it back to the factory, but I would like my money 14 .
SA: I’m 15 I can't do that.
C: Why can't you do 16 about it ? I'd like you to change this 17 or else 18 me my money back.
SA: All right. You can 19 it for another one. Would you please 20 a look at these ones ?
1. help 2. bought 3. wrong 4. work 5. see 6. used 7. rain 8. course 9. that 10. Maybe 11. fault 12. factory 13. send 14. back 15. afraid 16. something 17. radio18. give 19. change 20. have
Fill in the blanks.
Is there ______ _______ ________ the radio?
Please give me _______ the book that you _______from me.
It _______ as if it’s going to_______.
He _______ that he _______ there tomorrow.
Don’t _______ the child stand ________ the sun.
I would _______ Tom’s brother ________ do the work.
1. anything wrong with 2. back …borrowed 3. seems…snow 4. insists …go 5. have/ keep …in 6. like …to
StepⅤ Language points
Let students read the dialogue and ask them to pay attention to some key sentences and then the teacher gives some brief explanation.
1. There seem (s) to be…
like sb. to do sth./ like to do sth./ like doing sth.
3. I’m not that foolish = I am not so foolish.
4.It looks as if + 句子 = It seems as if + 句子
5. insist + that - clause + ( should ) + v
Step Ⅵ Further practise
1.Get good pairs of students to act out their dialogues in front of the class without their books if possible.
2. Provide a few situations for the Ss, let them practise the dialogues by dividing the different groups.
1)You have just bought a pair of shoes from a shoe shop. But later you find that the shoes are not of the same size. So you go to the shop again. Make a dialogue between the shop assistant and you.
2) You have just bought a tape—recorder. But it does not work as soon as you get home. So you go back to the shop and ask for a new one..
Step Ⅶ Exercise
Do exercises Ex 1——3. on Page 118.
A customer brought a blouse in a clothes shop last week. She found that the colours _____when she washed it. Thinking that there must be ______wrong with it, she went back to the shop. The shop_____ asked her whether she did not follow the ______and washed it in hot water. The ______said she was not ______foolish. It seemed that it was the ______of the company that produced it .The customer _______that the shop should give her money back, but the shop assistant refused. Finally the customer decided to change the blouse _______another one.
ran, something, assistant, instructions, customer, that (so), insisted, fault, for
1.Do exercises Ex 2——3. on Page 118.
2.Get the students to do the vocabulary preparation in Lesson 38 .