学会英语俚语就能愉快地看美剧了~

所属专题:英语口语练习  来源:    要点:英语学习,英语口语,英语在线学习  
编辑点评:
作者:沪江网校|2017年02月24日 10:56

看美剧的时候,我们经常会碰到一些难以理解的俚语表达。很多时候光看句子,每个单词都认识,放在一起就蒙圈儿~

今天,沪江君给大家介绍40个老外常用的俚语。希望大家喜欢,也欢迎补充!

1. In the nick of time 紧要关头

They arrived in the nick of time to save us.

在紧要关头他们正好赶到来救我们。

注:nick n.缺口、刻痕/v.割伤

2. Let the cat out of the bag 说出秘密

 

Their engagement was to be a secret but the ring on her finger let the cat out of the bag.

他们俩的订婚原本是个秘密,可她手指上的戒指却将这个秘密泄露了出来。

3. Let the chips fall where they may 让某事发生,不管是好是坏

 

I'm going to just try out for the cheerleading squad and let the chips fall where they may.

不管结果是好是坏,我都会去试着参加啦啦队。

注:chip n.碎片/v.刻

4. Lose your marbles 变得疯狂

 

Mom has really lost her marbles; she's making me practice writing the Enhanced ACT Essay seven times this week!

我妈妈已经彻底失去理智了;这个星期她让我写了七遍ACT的作文!

注:marble n.大理石、理智

5. Once in a blue moon 罕见的

 

In Florida, the temperature drops below freezing only once in a blue moon.

在弗罗里达,气温降到零度以下是非常罕见的。

6. Plain as day 显而易见的

 

It’s plain as day that you’re in love with her, so just admit it.

很显然你已经爱上她了,承认吧。

注:plain n.平原/adj.平淡的、朴实无华的

 

7. Play second fiddle 居次位

I hate playing second fiddle to my sister; she always does things better than I do!

我讨厌总是比不过我姐姐,她什么都做得比我好!

注:fiddle n.民间乐器(类似小提琴)/v.瞎搞、欺骗

 

8. Put your foot in your mouth 说错话

Jessica really put her foot in her mouth when she asked about John’s job right after he lost it.

杰西卡居然在约翰失业后问起他的工作,真是说错话了。

 

9. Pull yourself together 冷静下来;振作起来

Pull yourself together, man! Sure, your girlfriend just dumped you and then you got hit by a car, but you can't let those things get you down.

振作起来,兄弟!虽然你被女朋友甩了,又被车撞了,但你不能让这些事把你击垮。

 

10. Sick and tired 被打扰或困扰

She is sick and tired of her dog chewing up her shoes every day

她的狗每天都会啃她的鞋子,这让她郁闷不已。



11. Sleep on it 在做决定前先考虑一会

Don’t tell me whether you’ll move to Texas with me or not today. Sleep on it, and get back to me tomorrow.

你今天不用告诉我会不会和我一起搬去德克萨斯。先考虑一下,明天再回复我。

 

12. Snug as a bug in a rug 温暖舒适的;满足的

That baby looks as snug as a bug in a rug cuddled up next to his mother.

那个小宝贝蜷缩在妈妈的身边,露出很温暖舒适的神情。

注:snug adj.温暖舒适的、小而整洁的 bug n.昆虫/v.打扰 rug n.地毯

 

13. Step up your game 迎头赶上

Listen, Jen. You'd better step up your game if you want to get all A's in Miss Finch's Physics class. She isn't easy!

听着,珍。如果你想在芬奇老师的课上得全A,就得奋起直追。她可不是好糊弄的!

 

14. Stick your nose into something 干涉

Sharon always sticks her nose into everyone else’s business.

莎伦经常干涉别人的事。

注:stick v.插入、容忍/n.棍棒

 

15. Straight from the horse's mouth 来自最可靠的消息

Listen to the news straight from the horse’s mouth; we’re all getting bonuses this week!

据最可靠的消息说,我们这周都会领到奖金!

 

16. Take it easy 放松

I know you’re not feeling well, so try to take it easy today.

我知道你觉得不舒服,所以今天就试着放松一下吧。

 

17. Tip of the iceberg 冰山一角

The fact that Carrie is dating a member of the mafia is just the tip of the iceberg; she’s also smuggling contraband into the country.

卡莉和黑手党的人见面的事其实只是冰山一角,她还向这个国家走私违禁品。

注:tip n.小费、末梢/v.给小费

 

18. To not see the wood for the trees 一叶障目

She always argues about the silliest things; it’s like she can’t see the wood for the trees.

她总是在纠结一些鸡毛蒜皮的事;就好像看不到最重要的事是什么一样。

 

19. Up a creek without a paddle 处于困境之中

If you don’t have any money to pay for the repairs we just made to your car, I guess you’re up a creek without a paddle because you can’t have your car back.

如果你没钱支付汽车的修理费的话,那你就麻烦了,因为你休想要回你的车。

注:creek n.小溪 paddle n.桨/v.涉水、用桨划船

 

20. You rock! 你真棒!

Dude. You rock. Thanks for offering to watch my pet iguana all week.

兄弟,你真棒!谢谢你愿意照顾我的蜥蜴一整周。



21. 24/7 一天二十四小时;一周七天;一直;持续地

My little sister irritates me 24/7!

我的小妹妹整天都在惹我生气!

 

22. A short fuse 急性子

Jamie is known for his short fuse; just a few days ago he screamed at his coach for not letting him play.

杰米是出了名的急性子;几天前,因为没被安排上场,他就朝着教练大声嚷嚷。

注:fuse v.熔断/n.导火线

 

23. A taste of your own medicine 自己尝尝相同的滋味

After constantly being prank-called, Julian decided to give Juan a taste of his own medicine and ordered twenty-seven pizzas to be delivered to Juan’s house.

在被胡安捉弄了许多次后,朱利安决定也要让胡安尝尝同样的滋味,所以就订了27块披萨送到胡安的家里。

 

24. Butterflies in my stomach 紧张的

Liam had butterflies in his stomach before he went on stage to play the violin.

利亚姆在上台演奏小提琴之前非常紧张。

 

25. By the skin of your teeth 勉强做成某事

Lester made the dance team by the skin of his teeth; you can tell he hasn't been dancing jazz for very long.

莱斯特勉强组成了舞蹈队;你可以看出来他已经好久没跳爵士了。

 

26. Cat got your tongue? 怎么不说话了?

(通常说出来是为了让对方难堪)

I just saw you kissing my boyfriend. What’s the matter? Cat got your tongue?

我刚才看见你亲了我男朋友。怎么回事?你怎么不吭声了?

 

27. Crying wolf 假意求救

You have cried wolf so many times that no one believes you when you're really hurt.

你已经玩了这么多次“狼来了”的把戏,没人会相信你是真的受伤了。

 

28. Cut someone some slack 放某人一马

Hey. Cut me some slack. I was really busy with my frog hunting business last week and forgot to call. I'm sorry!

嘿,放我一马吧。上个星期我真的是忙着捉青蛙了,忘了给你打电话。对不起嘛!

注:slack adj.松弛的、懈怠的/v.放松、懈怠/n.宽松裤

 

29. Down for the count 疲劳的;放弃;不能或不愿再参与

No, you can’t take my dog for a walk – she’s down for the count after chasing cats all day.

不,你不能遛我的狗。——它追猫追了一天,已经累坏了。

 

30. In the fast lane 繁忙刺激的人生

When Curtis turned forty, he decided he needed to live life in the fast lane, so he quit his job as a dentist and decided to tour Europe by motorcycle.

当柯蒂斯四十岁的时候,他决心过刺激的人生,所以他辞去了牙医的工作,决定骑摩托车环游欧洲。

注:lane n.车道、小巷



31. Draw the line 停止;判定好坏的分界线

I don't mind helping, but I draw the line at doing everything myself.

我帮忙倒无所谓, 但可不能什么事都让我做。

 

32. Easier said than done 知易行难

You want me to come to work at 6:00 AM? Easier said than done!

想让我6点就开工?说得容易!

 

33. Every cloud has a silver lining 困境中总会发现转机

Even though you just got fired, remember that every cloud has a silver lining – at least you don’t have to work for that grouchy boss anymore!

即使你被解雇了,你也要记住,柳暗花明又一村。至少你再也不用为那个坏脾气的老板工作了!

注:silver n.银/adj.银色的 lining n.衬料/v.排队

 

34. Finding a needle in a haystack 大海捞针

The movie theater was so crowded that getting a seat was like finding a needle in a haystack.

电影院人满为患,想找到一个座位可谓大海捞针。

注:haystack n.干草堆

 

35. Fish out of water 不得其所,格格不入

Tom felt like a fish out of water at the Star Trek convention his new girlfriend begged him to attend.

汤姆的新女友央求他去《星际迷航》的影迷会,这让他感到浑身不自在。

 

36. Get something off your chest

说出困扰了你很久的事;承认你做错了某事

I have to get this off my chest – I copied your answers on the Redesigned SAT. Thanks for the 15th percentile score, by the way.

我得承认,在入学考试时我抄了你的答案。顺便感谢你让我进了前15%名。

 

37. Give it a whirl 尝试做某事

I’ve never gone kite-boarding, but I’m prepared to give it a whirl!

我从没玩过风筝冲浪,但我准备尝试一下!

注:whirl v.旋转、飞奔/n.回旋

 

38. Go down in flames 在众人面前失败

The football player's career went down in flames after the media learned he'd been losing on purpose to settle gambling debts.

在被媒体爆出身负赌债后,这名足球选手的事业一落千丈。

注:flame n.火焰/v.燃烧

 

39. Go the extra mile 加倍努力

My dentist always goes the extra mile, offering free back massages at the end of a stressful tooth extraction.

我的牙医总是非常尽心尽力,会在紧张的拔牙手术后给病人按摩。

 

40. Hang in there 有耐心,坚持下去

I know you're struggling right now in school, but just hang in there. It'll get easier. I promise.

我知道你现在在学校里的日子不好过,但你要坚持下去。一切都会好起来的,我保证。

作者:沪江 著作权归作者所有。商业转载请联系作者获得授权,非商业转载请注明出处。

英语学习相关精华文章:http://www.hujiang.com/c/xgn/

网友热搜:

新概念英语

>>点击查看英语口语练习专题,阅读更多相关文章!

最新2024英语学习,英语口语,英语在线学习信息由沪江高考资源网提供。

请输入错误的描述和修改建议,建议采纳后可获得50沪元。

错误的描述:

修改的建议: