At a very early age, I had a dream of becoming a member of the Students Union. I always 26__ my school leaders for taking responsibility for all of us, so I dreamed of being a leader.
Years flew by, and soon I was able to take part in the elections, 27 I would win. But the reality struck that I hadn't had a chance. I wasn't pretty. Girls across the school hardly knew me. I just did not have what it __28 to win a school election. I was 29 ___.
As I cried in my room that evening, I 30 took a deep breath and decided I wouldn't stop dreaming. I decided that I would 31 for elections again in my final year at school-and I would win.
I recognized that my 32 had a lot of things in their favor. What were the points that would work in ___33___ favor? I had good grades, and I was friendly and helpful. And my biggest 34 was the faith I had. I would not allow my plain appearance to hold me __35____ from putting my best foot forward. That evening, I 36 my election plans a whole year ahead of time.
I realized that girls would have to get to know me and recognize that I had the ability to 37 them. I loved making friends and I liked being helpful, 38 __ I decided that perhaps I could use these qualities to work to my advantage. In order to learn how to present a great election 39 __, I also attended a course on effective public speaking.
The day after the election, when the principal announced I won the second highest number of votes, the students 40 .That joy on the faces of all my friends showed me that my victory was 41 theirs.
Suddenly, I realized that I had 42 much more than I had dreamed of. I had made many new friends and had helped people 43 the way. I had won the 44 and love of my school-mates and they knew me as somebody who would stand by them. I was able to put a smile on their faces and 45 their day.
26. A. admired B. remembered C. praised D. believed
27. A. hoping B. planning C. pretending D. judging
28. A. offered B. provided C. meant D. took
29. A. concerned B. upset C. surprised D. angry
30. A. gradually B. immediately C. suddenly D. impatiently
31. A. pay B. stand C. speak D. wait
32. A. competitors B. classmates C. enemies D. schoolmates
33. A. their B. your C. our D. my
34. A. problem B. strength C. worry D. dream
35. A. in B. up C. out D. back
36. A. began B. discussed C. announced D. challenged
37. A. reconsider B. accompany C. represent D. support
38. A. but B. and C. so D. or
39. A. capsule B. speech C. meeting D. promise
40. A. nodded B. gathered C. cheered D. cried
41. A. only B. still C. almost D. also
42. A. accomplished B. absorbed C. devoted D. developed
43. A. by B. to C. in D. along
44. A. announcementB. recognition C. conclusion D. arrangement
45. A. enlarge B. wish C. brighten D. experience