1. I did very badly at school. My headmaster thought I was and when I was 14 he said, “You’re never going to be anything but a failure. ”
A. bright B. useless C. simple D. hopeful
2. Dorothy Brown was very happy as she sat in the theatre listening to the music. Today her little daughter Lauren was giving her first concert. She had been waiting for this moment for years and years. “Now it is here at last,” she thought. “How beautiful her ___1___ is.”
The song made her go back to the days when she was Lauren’s age. As a young girl, Dorothy wanted to be a concert singer. She studied ___2___ in France, Italy and in the United States. “You can become a fine ___3___ in the future,” her teachers told her. “But you must be prepared to study hard and work for many years.
1. A. voice B. face C. dress D. life
2. A. French B. music C. piano D. dance
3. A. actress B. student C. singer D. dancer
1. Our father was a struggling lawyer, but I always knew he was . He never criticized us, but used _____ to bring out our best.
A. strict B. honest C. special D. learned
A. help B. peace C. smile D. praise
2. His big stomach has always ballooned out between his T-shirt and trousers. Although his family often
about that, Ed refused to buy a T-shirt or to lose weight.
A. cared B. forgot C. quarreled D. joked
A. clean B. straight C. larger D. darker
常见语篇标志词语：结构层次:firstly, secondly, thirdly；逻辑关系：thus, therefore, so；递进关系：besides, what’s more, further;转折关系：but, while, however, on the other hand等。
She told the front-desk clerk she had had a(n) vacation, but was heart-broken about losing several rolls of Kodak color film she had not yet developed.
A. disappointing B. wonderful C. uncomfortable D. important
…and the officers then began to eat their meal, saying that the mushrooms had a very strange___quite pleasant taste.
A. besides B. but C. and D. or
The amount of usable water has always been of great interest in the world. Owning springs and streams sometimes means control, particularly in the areas like the desert.
A．dry B．distant C．deserted D．wild
I went into a café and asked for a coffee . I was waiting for my drink, I realized that there were other people in the place, but I sensed loneliness.
A．Before B．Since C．Although D．While
2. Have you ever shouted at a teacher, told someone you were lonely, or said you were in love, and then_ later you had kept your mouth shut?
23.A. wished B. hoped C. blamed D. shared
He was only fourteen and was not good at swimming___.So he shouldn’t have gone into that place.
A.after all B. in all C.at all D. for all
When, two weeks later, I this same boy, I was more aware of my position in Nigerian society. I shouldenjoythis country as the son of a minister.
A. ran after B. ran into C. ran over D. ran to
All of a sudden I started to feel rather ______. She wondered why I was looking for this sort of ______. I felt even more helpless when she told me that it would be difficult to get a job without experience.
A. encouraged B. dissatisfied C. helpless D. pleased
A. place B. job C. advice D. help
That is what a hobby means, I guess. It is something we like to do in our spare time simply for the ______ of it. The value in dollars is not important; we do it for the pleasure it gives us.
A. benefit B. good C. fun D. interest
Forcing yourself to recall almost never helps because it doesn’t ______ your money; it only tightens it.
A. loosen B. weaken C. decrease D. reduce
Many teachers believe that the responsibilities for learning lie with the students. If a long reading assignment is given, the instructors expect students to be familiar with the information in the reading……When research is _________, the professor expects the student to take it actively and to complete it with minimum guidance.
A. collected B. assigned C. distributed D. finished
Other times, he would join student groups to discuss a variety of : agriculture, diving and mathematics.
A. questions B. subjects C. matters D. contents