第一课:好朋友
SPEAKING
JOHN:I’m 15 years old and I love football. I also like reading, especially stories about people from other countries.
约翰:我15岁,我喜欢足球,我也喜欢读书,尤其是有关其他国家人的书。
I don’t enjoy singing, nor do I like computers. I think that rock music is terrible.
我不喜欢唱歌,也不喜欢电脑,我认为摇滚音乐很可怕。
ANN:Hi,I’m Ann. I’m 16 and I like dancing and computers.
安妮:你们好,我是安妮。我16岁,我喜欢跳舞和电脑。
I also like rock music.
我也喜欢摇滚音乐。
I hate hiking and I’m not into classical music. I don’t enjoy reading too much.
我不喜徒步旅行,我对古典音乐无兴趣。我不太喜欢读书。
STEVE:I’m 14 years old and I love skiing. Other favourite hobbies are reading and singing.
史蒂夫:我14岁,我喜欢滑雪。其他的嗜好是读书和唱歌。
I don’t like hiking. I think that rock music is too loud, and I think that football is boring.
我不喜欢徒步旅行。我认为摇滚音乐太吵闹,并且我认为足球很惹人烦。
PETER:I’m from Australia. I’m 15 and I’m fond of singing.
彼得:我来自澳大利亚,我15岁,我喜欢唱歌。
I sing a lot, and when I’m not singing, I listen to rock music or use my computer.
我不停地唱歌,当我不唱歌的时候,我听摇滚音乐或玩电脑。
I don’t like football and I think that classical music is terrible. I hate dancing!
我不喜欢足球,我认为古典音乐很糟糕,我不喜欢跳舞。
SARAH:My name is Sarah and I’m 14 years old. My interests are reading novels, playing football and singing songs.
萨拉:我叫萨拉,我14岁。我的爱好是读小说、踢足球、唱歌。
I think that rock music is terrible, and I don’t like dancing. I don’t enjoy computers either.
我认为摇滚音乐很糟糕。我不喜欢跳舞,也不喜欢电脑。
JOE:Hi there. I’m Joe. I really like computers. I surf the Internet all the time and I like playing computer games.
乔:你好,我叫乔。我的确喜欢电脑。我一直上网,我喜欢玩电脑游戏。
I don’t enjoy football and I hate hiking. Rock music is OK, and so is skiing.
我不喜欢足球,不喜欢徒步旅行。摇滚音乐很好,滑雪也不错。
READING
CHUCK’S FRIEND
查克的朋友
In the movie Cast Away, Tom Hanks plays a man named Chuck Noland.
在电影《荒岛余生》中,汤姆汉克斯扮演主人公查克·诺兰。
Chuck is a businessman who is always so busy that he has little time for his friends.
查克是一个生意人。他非常忙,没有时间会朋友。
He is a successful manager in a company that sends mail all over the world.
他是一位成功的经理,他的公司向全世界各地发送邮件。
One day Chuck is on a flight across the Pacific Ocean when suddenly his plane crashes.
一天,查克乘坐的航班在飞越太平洋时,突然飞机坠毁。
Chuck survives the crashes and lands on a deserted island.
在这次坠毁事故中,查克幸免于难,掉到在一个荒岛上。
On the island, Chuck has to learn to survive all alone.
在这个岛上,查克不得不学习独自一人生存。
He has to learn how to collect water, hunt for food, and make fire.
他必须学会怎样取水,怎样猎取食物以及怎样生火。
Perhaps the most difficult challenge is how to survive without friends.
或许最困难的挑战是如何在没有朋友的情况下生存。
In order to survive, Chuck develops a friendship with an unusual friend—a volleyball he calls Wilson.
为了生存,查克与一个不寻常的朋友——一个他称之为威尔逊的排球,建立了友谊。
Chuck learns a lot about himself when he is alone on the island.
当查克独自一人在那个岛上的时候,他对自己了进行了很多反思。
He realises that he hasn’t been a very good friend because he has always been thinking about himself.
他意识到他不是一个很好的朋友,因为他总是想着自己。
During his five years on the island, Chuck learns how to be a good friend to Wilson.
在岛上生活的五年期间,他学会了怎样和威尔逊做好朋友。
Even though Wilson is just a volleyball, he becomes fond of him.
尽管威尔逊仅仅是一只排球,他还是很快就喜欢上了它。
He talks to him and treats him as a friend.
他和威尔逊谈话,把他看做朋友。
Chuck learns that we need friends to share happiness and sorrow, and that it is important to have someone to care about.
查克懂得了我们需要朋友来同甘共苦,而且照顾别人是很重要的。
He also learns that he should have cared more about his friends.
他也意识到他本应该多关心朋友。
When he makes friends with Wilson, he understands that friendship is about feelings and that we must give as much as we take.
当他和威尔逊结交朋友时,他明白友谊之情是双向的,我们付出的必须和得到的一样多。
A volleyball is certainly an unusual friend.
排球当然是一个不寻常的朋友。
Most of our friends are human beings, but we also make friends with animals and even things.
我们的大多数朋友都是人,但我们也和动物甚至和一些东西交朋友。
For example,many of us have pets, and we all have favourite objects such as a lucky pen or a diary.
例如,很多人有宠物,我们还有一些喜欢的东西,诸如一支幸运的钢笔或一个日记本。
The lesson we can learn from Chuck and all the others who have unusual friends is that friends are teachers.
我们从查克和那些拥有不寻常的朋友的人身上得到的教训是——朋友是老师。
Friendship helps us understand who we are, why we need each other and what we can do for each other.
友谊使我们明白我们是怎样的人,为什么我们需要对方,我们彼此能为对方做点什么。
INTEGRATING SKILLS
Reading and writing
Do you know that you can use the Internet to make friends?
你知道可以用因特网交朋友吗?
You may know that a pen friend, or pen pal, is someone you write letters to.
你或许知道可以写信交笔友。
But what is an e-pal, or key pal? Yes, you guessed it!
但是你知道什么是e朋友或者是key朋友吗?嗨!你猜对了!
An e-pal is someone you write e-mail to.
e朋友是你写电子邮件交的朋友。
E-mail is faster and cheaper than letters, so you can write to your e-pals every day and you don’t have to wait for a letter to arrive.
电子邮件比信件快捷,便宜,因此你可以每天给你的e朋友写信而不必等待来信。
Just write your message and click it away!
你需要做的仅仅是写完信后,敲击键盘,一切就办妥了。
Read the following e-pal ads. Write an e-mail to one of them.
读下面的交友启事。给其中的一位写一封电子邮件。
Hello everyone, I’m Jane. I live in South Carolina. I like painting.
大家好,我是简。我住在南卡罗莱纳。我喜欢画画。
I’m 15 and I’m a student. I like talking and joking around and I like to listen to rock music.
我15岁,是一名学生。我喜欢聊天,开玩笑,听摇滚。
I am looking for e-pals from any country.
我想找一个e朋友,无论是哪个国家的都行。
Hi. My name is Jack. I am tall and I have blue eyes.
嗨,我的名字是杰克。我是个高个,有一双蓝眼睛。
I like sports. I play soccer. I love to make people laugh. I love singing and dancing.
我喜欢运动,我爱踢足球。我喜欢逗别人笑。我非常喜爱唱歌跳舞。
I am honest and I like to have fun. I like talking to people.
我很诚实,是个乐天派。我喜欢和人谈话。
If you’re interested in being friends, drop me a line.
如果你有兴趣和我成为朋友,就给我写信吧。