1. — Hey, can I ask you a favor?
— Sure, ________
A. here you are. B. just as I thought. C. how is it going? D. what can I do for you?
2. Mary worked here as a ________ secretary and ended up getting a full-time job with the company.
A. pessimistic B. temporary C. previous D. cautious
3. I ________ myself more—it was a perfect day.
A. shouldn’t have enjoyed B. needn’t have enjoyed
C. wouldn’t have enjoyed D. couldn’t have enjoyed
4. As the world’s population continues to grow, the ________ of food becomes more and more of a concern.
A. worth B. supply C. package D. list
5. The children, ________ had played the whole day long, were worn out.
A. all of what B. all of which C. all of them D. all of whom
6. If we leave right away, ________ we’ll arrive on time.
A. hopefully B. curiously C. occasionally D. gradually
7. ________ how others react to the book you have just read creates an added pleasure.
A. Hearing B. Hear C. Having heard D. To be hearing
8. Eye doctors recommend that a child’s first eye exam ________ at the age of six months old.
A. was B. be C. were D. is
9. When the group discussion is nearing its end, make sure to ________ it with important points.
A. conclude B. lead C. avoid D. hold
10. During the last three decades, the number of people participating in physical fitness programs ________
A. was increasing B. has increased C. had increased D. will be increasing
11. Half of ________ surveyed in 16 countries say they go first to their closest friend to share their deepestwishes and darkest fears.
A. these B. some C. ones D. those
12. A good listener takes part in the conversation, ________ ideas and raising questions to keep the talk
A. realizing B. copying C. offering D. misunderstanding
13. The museum will open in the spring with an exhibition and a viewing platform ________ visitors can
watch the big glasshouses being built.
A. what B. where C. when D. why
14. It will be a big help if you go to the store and get what we need for dinner. ________, I will set the table.
A. As a result B. On the whole C. In the meanwhile D. As a matter of fact
15. People develop ________ preference for a particular style of learning at ________ early age and these
preferences affect learning.
A. a；an B. a；不填 C. 不填； the D. the；an
16. The only way to succeed at the highest level is to have total belief ________ you are better than anyone else on the sports field.
A. how B. that C. which D. whether
17. Bears ________ fat stores throughout the summer and fall to have energy enough to last them through their winter sleep.
A. pack up B. build up C. bring up D. take up
18. If what your friend comes up with surprises you, don’t reject it immediately. ________, imagine that it is true.
A. Thus B. Besides C. Rather D. Otherwise
19. There are some health problems that, when ________ in time, can become bigger ones later on.
A. not treated B. not being treated
C. not to be treated D. not having been treated
20.— Excuse me, but could I trouble you for some change?
— ________. Will pennies do?
A. I know B. Never mind C. I am sure D. Let me see
Last spring, I was fortunate to be chosen to participate in an exchange study program. In my application letter, I was careful to 21 how much I wanted to see France; evidently, my excitement really came through in my words. Once I 22 that I was going, all I could think about was the fun of foreign travel and making all sorts of new and 23 friends. While travelling was inspiring and meeting people was 24 , nothing about my term in France was what I 25 .
The moment I arrived in Paris, I was 26 by a nice French couple who would become my host parents. My entire experience was joyous and exciting 27 I received some shocking news from my program coordinator: there had been a death in my host parents’ extended family. They had to travel outside France for several weeks. That afternoon, I had to 28 out of one family’s house into another. The exchange coordinator told me I’d have a
29 this time and asked whether I could share a bedroom with an English speaker. To avoid the